NMSU Faculty Awards
The Regents Professorship was established in 2001 by the New Mexico State University Board of Regents to recognize faculty who have made outstanding contributions to New Mexico States mission as a land-grant, Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University, and to honor contributions in areas of education, research, extension education and public service. Regents Professors hold the title for as long as they continue to teach at New Mexico State University.
- David M. Boje, Management
- Martha Desmond, Fish Wildlife and Conservation Ecology
- Thomas J. Dormody, Agricultural & Extension Education
- Tom Smith, Theatre Arts
2014–2015 M. Eugene Sundt Honors Professorship
The M. Eugene Sundt Honors Professorship position is a rotating chair that is held for two years and is awarded to an NMSU professor who promotes innovative teaching ideas and fosters unique, experience-based courses.
- Rani Alexander, Department of Anthropology
Westhafer Award for Excellence in Research
The Westhafer Award is given in alternating years for excellence in teaching, research and creative activity. The Westhafer is presented in memory of Robert L. Westhafer, professor in the Department of Mathematics from 1946 to 1957. The annual award carries a monetary gift.
2014 Recipient for Research and Creative Activity
- Mary O’Connell, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences
Dennis W. Darnall Faculty Achievement Awards
The Dennis Darnall Faculty Achievement Award recognizes faculty members who have demonstrated remarkable, broad-based accomplishments in teaching, research and service to the profession, the university and the community. The award carries a monetary gift and honors the achievements and services of Dennis W. Darnall as a New Mexico State University teacher, researcher, administrator, entrepreneur and civic leader.
- Michele Nishiguchi, Department of Biology
University Research Council Awards
The new University Research Council Awards for Exceptional Achievement in Creative Scholarly Activity are presented annually to early career and senior faculty and staff to increase recognition for exceptional research and other creative scholarly efforts.
Early Career Award
- Lily Hoang, Department of English
- Jessica Perea Houston, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Michelle Salazar Pérez, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Distinguished Career Award
- Michael R. Hyman, Department of Marketing
- Steve Stochaj, Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Community Engagement Awards
Established by the NMSU Foundation in 2015, this award recognizes exemplary community service and civic engagement by faculty, staff and students.
- Denise Rodriguez–Strawn, Service Learning for Educational Distinction
- Courtney Gavin, Business and Biology major
- Kristen Sprouse, Elementary Education major
Established in 2015, the Presidential Medallion recognizes retired faculty, staff, state officials or community members who have persistently, selflessly and superiorly served NMSU over a long period of time.
- Gerald Burke, professor and administrator, retired, NMSU
- James Bullock, professor and department head emeritus, Department of Accounting & Information Systems
NMSU Teaching Awards
Westhafer Award for Excellence in Teaching
The Westhafer Award is given in alternating years for excellence in teaching, research and creative activity. The Westhafer is presented in memory of Robert L. Westhafer, professor in the Department of Mathematics from 1946 to 1957. The annual award carries a $3,000 gift.
2015 Recipient for Teaching
- Nathan Brooks, Department of History
Patricia Christmore Faculty Teaching Award
Named for Patricia Christmore, former accounting department head, the annual award recognizes and rewards superb junior tenure-track faculty members for excellence in teaching.
2011 Revised Christmore Faculty Teaching Award guidelines
- Merranda Marín, Department of Family and Consumer Science
- Mary Alice Scott, Department of Anthropology
Donald C. Roush Award for Teaching Excellence
The annual Roush awards, named for a former New Mexico State University executive vice president in recognition of his 35 years of teaching improvement in New Mexico, are based on information from students, department heads, deans and community campus directors.
Excellence in Academic Advising Award
- Debra A. Cardinali, College of Business
- Graciela Unguez, Department of Biology
Student Support Outcomes Assessment Award
- NMSU Library
Outcomes Assessment Committee for Co-Curriculum, Administration and Operations Excellence in Assessment Award
This annual award recognizes outstanding assessment processes among co-curricular, administrative and operations units at NMSU. The Outcomes Assessment Committee for Co-Curriculum, Administration and Operations gives out the award.
- NMSU Library
Other Teaching Awards
Carnegie New Mexico Professor of the Year
Carnegie New Mexico Professors of the Year: The U.S. Professors of the Year program salutes the most outstanding undergraduate instructors in the country–those who excel as teachers and influence the lives and careers of their students. It is recognized as one of the most prestigious awards honoring professors.
- Kenneth Martin, Department of Finance