NMSU Faculty Awards
The Regents Professorship was established in 2001 by the New Mexico State University Board of Regents to recognize faculty who have made outstanding contributions to New Mexico States mission as a land-grant, Carnegie Foundation Doctoral/Research University, and to honor contributions in areas of education, research, extension education and public service. Regents Professors hold the title for as long as they continue to teach at New Mexico State University.
- Cynthia Bejarano, Criminal Justice
- Enrico Pontelli, Computer Science
- John “Jack” Wright, Geography
2014–2015 M. Eugene Sundt Honors Professorship
The M. Eugene Sundt Honors Professorship position is a rotating chair that is held for two years and is awarded to an NMSU professor who promotes innovative teaching ideas and fosters unique, experience-based courses.
- Rani Alexander, Anthropology
Westhafer Award for Excellence in Research
The Westhafer Award is given in alternating years for excellence in teaching, research and creative activity. The Westhafer is presented in memory of Robert L. Westhafer, professor in the Department of Mathematics from 1946 to 1957. The annual award carries a monetary gift.
2012 Recipient for Research and Creative Activity
- Shuguang Deng, Chemical Engineering
Dennis W. Darnall Faculty Achievement Awards
The Dennis Darnall Faculty Achievement Award recognizes faculty members who have demonstrated remarkable, broad-based accomplishments in teaching, research and service to the profession, the university and the community. The award carries a monetary gift and honors the achievements and services of Dennis W. Darnall as a New Mexico State University teacher, researcher, administrator, entrepreneur and civic leader.
- Michele Nishiguchi, Department of Biology
University Research Council Awards
The new University Research Council Awards for Exceptional Achievement in Creative Scholarly Activity are presented annually to early career and senior faculty and staff to increase recognition for exceptional research and other creative scholarly efforts.
Early Career Award
- Wenxin Liu, Klipsch School of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Pierre Wilbert Orelus, Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Distinguished Career Award
- Tiziana Giorgi, Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Bernd Leinauer, Department of Extension Plant Sciences
NMSU Teaching Awards
Westhafer Award for Excellence in Teaching
The Westhafer Award is given in alternating years for excellence in teaching, research and creative activity. The Westhafer is presented in memory of Robert L. Westhafer, professor in the Department of Mathematics from 1946 to 1957. The annual award carries a $3,000 gift.
2013 Recipient for Teaching
- John B. Wright, Geography
Patricia Christmore Faculty Teaching Award
Named for Patricia Christmore, former accounting department head, the annual award recognizes and rewards superb junior tenure-track faculty members for excellence in teaching.
2011 Revised Christmore Faculty Teaching Award guidelines
- Greg Armfield, Department of Communication Studies
- Kristin Stair, Department of Agricultural & Extension Education
Donald C. Roush Award for Teaching Excellence
The annual Roush awards, named for a former New Mexico State University executive vice president in recognition of his 35 years of teaching improvement in New Mexico, are based on information from students, department heads, deans and community campus directors.
Outstanding Student Retention and Graduation Award
This award, instituted in 2004 and is presented each spring to recognize outstanding achievements in the areas of student retention and graduation rates.
- Antonio S. Lara, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Deanna C. Dunlavy, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Excellence in Academic Advising Award
- Beth Armstead, Department of Student Services, NMSU Grants
- Steven Stochaj, Klipsch School of Electrical & Computer Engineering, College of Engineering
Student Support Outcomes Assessment Award
- NMSU Library
Outcomes Assessment II Best Practices Award
- Campus Health Center
Other Teaching Awards
Carnegie New Mexico Professor of the Year
Carnegie New Mexico Professors of the Year: The U.S. Professors of the Year program salutes the most outstanding undergraduate instructors in the country–those who excel as teachers and influence the lives and careers of their students. It is recognized as one of the most prestigious awards honoring professors.
- Kenneth Martin, Department of Finance
The Bromilow Awards are given annually by the College of Engineering in honor of Frank Bromilow, dean of the college from 1961 to 1974. The faculty award is given in alternating years for excellence in teaching and in research, and the staff award is given annually to a deserving support staff member. Recipients are selected by the College of Engineering.
2011 Recipients for Research and Service
- Research Award: Phillip De Leon, Klipsch School of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Staff Service Award: Charles Park, Manufacturing Technology & Engineering Center
Ralph B. Crouch Awards
Named for the late Ralph B. Crouch, professor of mathematics, head of the Department of Mathematical Sciences and associate dean of the Graduate School, the annual honor is awarded for outstanding contributions to the university. The award alternates between faculty and staff. The recognition includes a cash award.
- Jim Billings, Department of Theatre Arts
French Award for Improvement of Secondary Teaching
The French Award for Improvement of Secondary Teaching sponsors research and application of creative ideas. The award honors the memory of sisters Floy and Fannie French, education pioneers at the turn of the last century. The honor includes a $3,000 award.
- Mary Beth Calhoon, Department of Special Education and Communication Disorders
The Globalization Award was initiated by the Center for International Programs to recognize individuals who promote international understanding, cooperation, involvement and development at New Mexico State University.
- Greg Bloom, Center for Latin American & Border Studies
- Robert Foster, Southwest Technology Development Institute
- Jeanne Gleason, Agricultural Communications
Garrey E. and Katherine T. Carruthers Chair in Economic Development
The endowed chair was established in 2004 with a $500,000 gift from Dean Garrey E. Carruthers and Mrs. Katherine T. Carruthers. The state matched the gift with $1 million. The chair will contribute to New Mexico State University’s focus on economic and community development, and help recruit and retain first-rate faculty.
- Kevin Boberg, College of Business
Stan Fulton Chair for the Improvement of Border and Rural Schools
The chair, established in 2005, was created to enhance communication among New Mexico State University faculty, staff and students and pre-kindergarten through 12th grade constituents to improve border and rural schools. In this capacity, the chair will expand, improve and coordinate existing outreach programs and research activities.
- Eric J. López, Department of Special Education & Communication Disorders
The S.P. and Margaret Manasse Chair
The S.P. and Margaret Manasse Chair was established in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1999. The chair is awarded each year to an arts and sciences faculty member as recognition for a lifetime of dedication to teaching and research.
- William Eamon, History and Honors Program
Racial Harmony Award
The Racial Harmony awards are presented annually to one person from the New Mexico State University campus and one or more from the community who have supported the students and promoted racial harmony.
- Josephine De Leon, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs