How is my teaching evaluated?

Dear Aggie Banner

Dear Aggie,

I am new to New Mexico State University and was wondering about how my teaching will be evaluated. Is it just the end-of-semester student evaluations?

~New to NMSU

Dear New to NMSU,

I hope that your first semester has gone well all around. As you probably know, faculty prepare an annual performance report at the end of each calendar year. This report is submitted through the Watermark Faculty Success System, and that is how your evaluators (e.g., Department Heads, P&T committees) will be able to access your reports. So my first piece of advice is to make sure that your Watermark is up to date with respect to your progress and accomplishments.

For teaching, the NMSU Administrative Rules and Procedures (ARP) section 9.31 states that multiple forms of evidence are to be used to document the effectiveness of your teaching. More specifically, state law minimally requires student evaluations of teaching as well as one other form of evidence. The other forms of evidence that can be provided are (i) evidence from the instructor (e.g., self-reflections), (ii) evidence of student learning, and (iii) evidence from other professionals (e.g., peer observations and evaluations).

While this is a reporting requirement, doing this each year gives you an opportunity to think about what worked well, what didn’t work as well as you had hoped, and what changes you might make in the future to make your teaching even more effective. This is a great opportunity to really reflect on your teaching, and I encourage you to use the evidence from the instructor (your self-reflections) to really reflect on your teaching.

Things you may want to consider include:

With respect to the other forms of evidence:

I hope you enjoy the opportunity to report and reflect on your teaching, and realize the impact you are having on your students.

~Aggie

If you have a teaching question for Dear Aggie, please e-mail her at dearaggie@nmsu.edu